Thursday, March 24, 2011

My Quarter-Life Crisis

I am having a slightly premature (assuming I live to exactly 100) quarter-life crisis centered around my career, blog, and ability to have a social life.  I originally started this blog because I want more than almost anything to own my own furniture design business.  Sometimes I will have some furniture or decor idea bubbling in my head but, since I spend most of that time at my job, where I am definitely NOT encouraged to design furniture, I have to sit glassy-eyed in front of my computer bouncing my legs impatiently.  I also may have more than a few sticky notes with hastily-drawn pieces of furniture hidden cleverly around my workspace.

So here is how my day usually goes:  Wake up at 6:30...work from 8:30-5:30, setting aside some time to contemplate furniture....5:30-6:15 commute home.....6:15-7:45 cook and eat dinner because I am ravenously hungry when I get from work but cannot afford to buy food from restaurants....7:15-8:30 stalk design bloggers and tweeters whom I admire and want desperately to notice me, despite the fact that I am not actually saying or producing anything....8:30-9:30 write blog entry (sometimes this takes longer if, for instance, the Bachelor is on).....9:30-10:30 grocery shopping, taxes, bridal shower planning, Junior League meeting, cleaning, returning emails, whatever the extra things are that day etc.  It's always something....10:30 sleep.  I wish I were kidding about how early I go to bed, but I literally cannot function on less than 8 hours of sleep.  I get sick and fall asleep in meetings.  Also not encouraged at work.

Here is what I never do:
1. Design furniture
2. Have a social life

So now I'm trying to decide...should I drop the idea of having my own blog and just concentrate on following other bloggers who are much better at time management??  Then maybe I can spend some time actually designing and producing furniture and THEN, once I actually have something to show the world, get back into social media??  I just really hate the idea of giving up on anything but maybe, if I can convince myself that it will actually enable me to own my own business faster, I can be ok with it and vastly improve the next three quarters of my life...

7 comments:

  1. Wow, you have no idea how relieved I am to read this - I feel the exact same way EVERYDAY! My older sister actually told me about the quarter life crisis... I'm guessing it's normal... question is: what can we do about it!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't give up. write for you and only you. there is time for everything. time management is key. its ok to get overwhelmed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ^They're right! But whatever you decide, we're here for you. Good luck! Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl, I struggle with this all.the.time! I am working at a job I hate, only dreaming of doing something creative with my life. It's so hard to balance writing good, original posts while working a full time job too. I love your blog, but totally understand where you're coming from. I thought about doing the same thing, but I think I'm going to keep on keepin' on (for now ha!). I'm here for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sarah!

    I think if its really something that you love doing, you'll find time for it. It's never easy, but everything will fall into place.. Please don't stop blogging. Your thoughts, design ideas, and what have you are all worthy for you to write and for us to read. And besides make blogging/writing some sort of therapy for you. It's so much fun right?

    xo,
    Mikka

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sarah,
    Thanks for stopping by my blog! I too enjoyed browsing through your blog today. you have great style and taste. and i loved your orange slices for ornaments post and the pictures of your town during Christmas. So charming! I grew up in New Orleans, so I miss the older town feel and architecture from living on the West coast for the past 10 years.

    I know what you mean about working a full time job and being exhausted for the "extra" stuff post-work. I worked as an Interactive Marketing Strategy Exec for 7 years before transitioning to stay-at-home-mom. I was lucky during some of my jobs to be able to "goof off" a bit and have "internet/blogging" time DURING work hours. And some times enough time during work to plan dinners, grocery lists, etc. but other times work was long hours, stressful and not enjoyable.

    so just wanted to say good luck with juggling everything, and hopefully soon you can find a job that uses all of your (favorite) talents such as designing furniture.

    -emily curfew

    ReplyDelete
  7. My thoughts exactly!

    I just stumbled on your blog because you follow me on twitter (btw, thank you! that's so sweet of you!) and when I read this post I knew that I am not the only person that is thinking that they are slowly going crazy... I am juggling design school, a retail job, and trying to have a social life, while also trying to produce blog posts every day! I didn't know how much work a blog would actually be, but sometimes it's just impossible to allocate the two hours a day it takes to produce a decent post. And I've learned that sometimes it's okay to take a day off if you're feeling uninspired or don't have time.

    Anyways, what I'm trying to say is that I'm with ya girl! We'll get through it and I hope that the harder we work, the more it will pay off. Someone has to notice us eventually, right??

    ReplyDelete